Just recently, I went to Fairbanks, Alaska. I left on Christmas and returned on New Year’s day. It was quite a fun trip! However, it was very cold! The temperature was like -20 degrees outside which for me is freezing since I live in Hawaii. Anyway, I will just talk about my trip and what we did.

When we arrived, we had to put on like 5 layers of clothing. It was really hot in there until we went outside. It felt like I was about to freeze to death! All the trees did not have any leaves and they were white. Apparently, they leave their cars running so that way it does not feel as cold inside. You could see a cloud of smoke rising in the air from the engines of the cars. We managed to get to our hotel room and after that, we went to Walmart… Every store that we went to was super warm. I don’t know how people could adapt to that weather. You have to put so many layers of clothes on just to walk somewhere and then take it off and wash it. Back to the topic, I bought my friends and my dad some stuff and then bought some snacks and water. After that, we left to go back to the hotel.

The next day, we went dog sledding. We drove far up a mountain and I thought we would die. We put our gear on and met the cute dogs. They were really big and all of them were barking. As soon as we got on, the dogs ran and I and the instructor left. It was super cool! You had to dodge tree branches and a breeze of freezing air was constantly blowing at your face. My hair was all white because of that! Even if you teared up, your tears would freeze! After that, we got invited to the instructor’s house to watch the northern lights. We got to her cabin and a bunch of dogs were there. We got to see a glimpse of the aurora borealis, but the day after that, we got to see it! The naked eye can’t see it that good so you would have to use a camera to take it.

A few days later, we went ice fishing. We went to a frozen lake and they put these small temporary cabins out. It was very cosy inside of it. The people would drill holes into the ice and put these strange toilet-looking things on it. I couldn’t catch anything but my grandmother caught a whole ton of them! She had the luck of the lake! I thought that I caught one but it was my mother’s fishing hook that I caught.

That was all I remember of my trip even though it was not that long ago. I never got to try any salmon even though that is what they are known for. I wouldn’t mind going back as long as I don’t die from how cold it was. The ice fishing instructor told us a story that he once got lost in the forest and he stayed there for 2 days with only his friend. Can you imagine how cold that would be!!! I guess the people living in Alaska actually do adapt to the cold. Thank you for reading my post about my trip!

This picture belongs to me